Tuesday 15 July 2014

Homemade Dollhouse from Book Shelf

Today is Gigi's 3rd Birthday (16th July). For her birthday, I wanted to give her a dollhouse, as shes been showing interest in the ones at the shop. 


I spent a few weeks scouting Op Shops and Gumtree for a cheap, solid timber book shelf to convert to a dollhouse. Finally, I found one for $20 on Gumtree.  I sanded down the bookshelf, painted it white, then painted the shelves with poster paint. The bottom shelf is the 'farm' section of the house, with green grass, blue skies and a pond. The middle and top shelves are the 'house' part of the dollhouse. The middle shelf is painted in three different coulours to represent kitchen, bathroom and living room; whilst the top shelf is two different colours to represent two bedrooms. Obviously I didn't get it finished before her birthday. I still have to put in some bits of wood for actual room dividers and I'd also like to paint on some trees on the bottom level and windows and doors on the top levels. 


For dolls in the dollhouse, I used some wood offcuts, sanded them back and painted them with people and animals.


I'm not a great artist, but luckily Gigi has enough imagination to recognise the chickens, ducks, goats and cats that I painted for the farm level.


I also painted 'dolls', modeled on our family. There is 'Nana', Gigi','Mumma', 'Poppa', and 'Daddy'.



Gigi loves the dollhouse, she thinks the 'Gigi' doll is hilarious and she tells a little story as she plays with them. As time goes on I will make more people, animals and some furniture for the dollhouse, as well as finish it, according to the plan in my head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment