Sunday 13 July 2014

July Poultry Update



We now have four chickens, as we've taken in a refugee from a friend at work whose new dog ate all of her chooks, but one. So our flock welcomed Sooty last week, who is a grey silkie cross. I'm not sure how old she is, nor do I expect her to lay for some time- if at all- after the trauma she's been through (she was rescued from the jaws of the dog). Sooty is a very friendly chook- quiet, calm and able to be picked up for a cuddle. 

In other news, Chicken Dance has started to lay! In the past fortnight, I've gotten six small eggs. At first, I only suspected it was her, as she is the biggest chook. Then I caught her 'in the act' one afternoon. I'm now enjoying delicious home-produced eggs and I couldn't be happier.


The Ladies have now settled into their routine. Every morning I let them out of their house, re-fill their water and put out some feed for them. They then scratch in the garden all day. Of an evening, when I get home from work, the chooks are in their house, ready for bed. All I have to do is shut the door to make sure they are safe overnight. 


I still feed the Guinea Fowl every morning over by the goat paddock. Unfortunately, if I dont turn up with their feed before 8am, they come up to the house looking for it and making a racket. The perfect alarm, in case I wanted to sleep in on a Sunday. The chickens and the guineas get along well. That is, the guineas basically ignore the chickens and the chickens ignore the guineas. 


No comments:

Post a Comment